Aldershot Town 3 Barnet 3

The Shots threw away a two goal lead as Barnet came back, to force a 3-3 draw, in a pulsating match at the Rec tonight.

A brace from Brett Williams and a Manny Oyeleke strike had put the Shots 3-1 up midway through the second period – but the Bees, who surely will challenge for automatic promotion this season, hit back in the last fifteen minutes to share the spoils.

The game was played in heavy rain, with a gusty wind for the most part, but the surface held up remarkably well in the circumstances.

However this made defending difficult, which contributed to the goal mouth action.

The Shots were unchanged again and made an excellent start attacking the East Bank end.

In the third minute, an excellent Joe Oastler cross whipped in from the Shots right, was met by Williams who used his chest to direct it in from 6 yards out.

On 14-minutes a dangerous looking cross into the Shots box by Marsh-Brown was well diverted away from danger by Morris.

Shots were in control of the game at this point, pressing the ball well, giving the visitors no time or space when they were in possession.

On the half hour mark Paterson just failed to get on the end of a long through ball.

A minute later, Oastler was booked for a late challenge on Gambin.

Soon after, a cross-cum-shot from Elliot Johnson was pushed away from under his bar by Morris.

The last effort of the first half came from Oastler in the 38th minute. After a neat run from the Shots full-back, his effort from outside the box just cleared the bar.

Half time:  Aldershot Town 1 Barnet 0

Barnet came flying out of the traps in the second period and they thought they had restored parity within seconds of the restart.

A powerful shot from Marsh-Brown was only parried into the path of Byrne who slotted home, but the linesman’s flag was raised to curtail the visitor’s celebrations.

The Bees were totally on top now and the lively Marsh-Brown fired an effort well over when he should have done better.

The sustained pressure from the visitors finally paid off in the 58th minute.

Curtis Weston got goal-side of Jake Goodman and lobbed the advancing Morris for the equaliser.

Jordan Roberts replaced Paterson in the 62nd minute.

The Shots regained the lead against the run of play two minutes later.

Brett Williams tussled with a defender and the ball broke loose to Manny Oyeleke.

The Brentford loanee drilled the ball into the bottom corner of the net from 20 yards out.

Mark Molesley then had an effort, which went a couple of yards wide of the far post.

The Shots looked as though they had made the game safe in the 69th minute. The impressive Williams superbly closed down the keeper and blocked his attempted clearance, before firing into an empty net.

Glen Morris then had to be on his mettle at the other end, as he came off his line quickly to deny Crawford.

A surging run forward from Adam Webster in the 76th minute ended with the Shots defenders well hit effort flying wide.

Jaydon Gibbs then replaced Oyeleke.

The visitors reduced the deficit in the 78th minute after Rowlands lost possession in midfield. Eventually the ball was squared to the unmarked Mengerink who side footed home from 10 yards out.

Molesley burst into the Barnet box on 85 minutes, but his effort was directed straight at Stack.

The same player crossed to the unmarked Williams shortly after, but on this occasion the Shots striker failed to show some composure and fired his first time effort wide – when he should have taken a touch.

The Barnet comeback was completed in the 88th minute. Harry Crawford surged into the Shots area, and after a couple of failed attempted clearances, he fired into the roof of the net.

In the end possibly two points lost in the circumstances for the Shots but hopefully they will be on top form again on Saturday against another strong side, in Wrexham.


TS RATINGS: Morris 6, Oastler 7, Barker 6, Stanley 7, Goodman 6, Webster 7.5, Oyeleke 7 (Gibbs), Rowlands 6, Williams 8, Paterson 6.5 (Roberts), Molesley 7.


With thanks to Tongham Shots.