Aldershot Town 1 Shortwood United 2

Supporters and everyone else associated with Aldershot Town would be drowning their sorrows after a disappointing defeat but also a questionable one too as it ended in a 2-1 defeat in the hands of the visitors, Shortwood United, participants in the Calor Gas Southern League Division One South and West.

Joe Oastler and Glenn Morris limped off during the 1-1 draw last Saturday and the boss, Andy Scott made two changes with both of these sidelined through injury. Matt Patterson and young Luke Williams came in place of these two set back through injury. Patterson and Brett Williams partnered each other up front whilst Milan Stojsavljevic was called up from the youth team with the absence of the suffering Morris.

In the 13th minute, Jaydon Gibbs touched past to cross the line from a Matt Patterson delivery but it was no good, the assistant referee nearest had his flag up and the referee confirmed this was disallowed after Gibbs had entered an offside position before Matt Patterson was successful next, striking past Tom King between the sticks for Shortwood to mark his second goal in all competitions before Manny Oyeleke handled the ball inside the area and referee Rob Whitton, no hesitation pointing to the spot with Duncan Culley stepping up and doing the honours, sending young Luke Williams the wrong way, much to the delight of the visiting set of supporters to put Shortwood back in it and within a chance to knock out the Shots of the FA Cup in the fourth qualifying round and they did so in the 55th minute with Adam Mann smacked it home into the bottom right past the youngster between the sticks for the Shots acting as cover for the again injured Morris.

Scott’s men could of found an equaliser to put them back onto level terms but failed with Goodman heading just over King’s crossbar before an unmarked Avery could of proved more vital before Lewis Young’s twenty five yard effort deflected out for a corner.

Shortwood could have made their lead more comfortable, Barker was turned by the slippery Kevin Slack on the left side before Haddock headed wide after rising above Oyeleke, in for the struck by injury, Oastler.

There could be some raised eyebrows next time out for Shortwood in just under two weeks time after knocking out the embarrassed Shots to qualify for the first round proper and have been tied at home to Port Vale, to be broadcasted live on the big screens on BT Sport.

Att: 1,233 (including 93 visiting supporters)