Aldershot Town 1 Bury 3

Jones versus Jones at the EBB Stadium today.....and unfortunately for Shots, it was Michael Jones of Bury who came out the winner, with two amazing strikes.....while Darren Jones suffered the long dreaded walk to the tunnel early on, the first of two Shots players sent off on the day, Marvin Morgan also seeing red along with manager Kevin Dillon! 

In an incredible match littered with great goals, controversial decisions and red cards, nine man Shots went down 3-1 to a lively Bury side, who remain in an automatic promotion slot. No such joy for Shots, who now find themselves down to eleventh in League Two.

Dillon made four changes to his starting line-up, with Halls, Gutteridge, McGlashan and Little coming in for Harding, Panther, Jackson and Spencer. Gutteridge showed intent from the off, making at least three tackles in the opening minutes.

In the tenth minute came the moment that young Jermaine McGlashan has been dreaming about since he first joined Shots in the summer. Set away down the right, he beat one player, held off another, made it to the bye-line and then sent over a rasping cross that Bury's debutant keeper Fon Williams could only palm into the path of the on-rushing Glen Little, who expertly volleyed home with his left foot from 8 yards.

Shots looked comfortable, Bury hadn't really threatened. But then Bandana Man Sodje headed a corner against the bar and moments later, they won a penalty which, even worse for Shots, saw the offender Darren Jones sent off – referee Whitestone deciding that his foul on Ryan Lowe warranted a red card. A hint of offside perhaps? Not according to the referee, or his assistant. Jones trudged off, shaking his head in disbelief. Lowe stepped up slowly, took two or three hesitant steps up to the ball and then saw his spot-kick brilliantly saved, high and to his left, by Jamie Young!

Shots shuffled their pack. Little's contribution to the game was over. On came young Aaron Morris to slot in at the back alongside Charles. Shots settled again. The officials began to incense the home fans, missing fouls on Shots players and failing to play advantage.

As the game crept towards half time, despite the set-back of going down to 10 men, Shots looked good for their lead. But Michael Jones had other ideas...or did he? Way out on the right hand side, he sent over a long cross, that flew over everyone, including Young and nestled into the far left hand corner of the Shots goal. 1-1.

Shots were rather cruelly robbed twice, within a minute of re-taking the lead. Firstly Aaron Morris sent a bullet header thundering towards the goal, but it it rebounded, almost certainly possibly off the raised arm of a Bury defender. Moments later, Charles rose to flick the ball on and MMM headed home off the underside of the bar....only for the referee to disallow the goal saying that Charles jumped unfairly.

So, onto the second half of an enthralling match. Bury began passing the ball around patiently, but rarely threatening. Shots battled well but were a little sloppy at times, working hard to win the ball and then giving it away needlessely. The visitors slowly began to get on top. All remaining hands were on deck for Shots and at times and there was no-one left up front.

Then, after doing well for some 60 minutes, things went downhill for Shots...rapidly!! first Michael Jones scored again for Bury and this time he meant it – a scorching right foot shot from 20 yards. Then MMM saw red.....put in a crude challenge on Mozika...and quite rightly saw red again! Sorry Marvin – no excuse for that - it was a shocker!

Shots were losing and now down to 9 men with more than twenty minutes still to play and things were soon to get worse! Mozika tried to exact revenge on Gutteridge....and somehow received only a yellow card. Dillon, incensed by the decision, received his marching orders too for arguing his point. And then Nicholas Ajose, on loan from Man United, showed his class with a wonderful lob to put the Shakers 3-1 up and seal the game.

A torrid afternoon for Shots! Dillon was not at all happy afterwards, and confirmed that he will appeal both sendings off, meaning that both Jones and Morgan may well still travel to Hereford on Tuesday.