Aldershot Town 0 Wycombe Wanderers 0

Shots battled bravely on for over an hour with ten men, to gain a hard earned point, following the first half dismissal of Anthony Tonkin, who picked up two yellow cards whilst struggling to contain Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth's forays down his wing. However, despite the point, Shots now find themselves rock bottom of League Two.   

For manager Dean Holdsworth, Saturday's FA Cup victory over non league Hendon will have come as a huge relief - especially after his side trailed at half time, but tonight it was back to the fight for League Two survival. Three points on offer, but unquestionably, a "six pointer" with Shots finding themselves separated only on goal difference from their Buckinghamshire based rivals.

There were plenty of players in both camps that had previously played for the other. For Shots, Jamie Young returned in goal. The other former Chairboys Guy Branston and Scott Donnelly had to settle for a place on the bench.

Wycombe manager Gareth Ainsworth selected Dave Winfield and Joel Grant in his starting line-up. There was no place in the squad for 'want away' former Shots legend Nikki Bull, or Dean Morgan.

Shots began well, playing to the high tempo that got the home faithful right behind them, Keiron Cadogan, so lively in his man of the match performance on Saturday, was once again pacey and direct, running at the Wycombe defence. Shots forced a succession of early corners, but failed to get on the end of any of them. Hylton shot from range when he could perhaps have fed Cadogan. And then Cadogan and Hylton combined to good effect on the right wing, before Danny sent over a pin point cross. Vincenti met it, but couldnt get any pace on his header.

On 18 minutes, a triple chance for Shots. It beggars belief how they conspired not to score. Cadogan swung over a fantastic cross, Vincenti headed it toward goal - blocked. Came back to him whilst he was lying on the ground, shot again blocked. Then it fell to Craig Reid whose shot from just 8 yards cannoned back off Hylton who was ahead of him on the goal line! Somehow it remained 0-0.

It looked like only a matter of time before Shots would take the lead, but then, on the half hour, they shot themselves in the foot, or rather Anthony Tonkin did. Apparently already on a yellow card, he flew in late and low on Ainsworth and the referee had no choice but to give him a second.

Holdsworth reacted quickly to bring on Aaron Morris for the unlucky Keiron Cadogan, who was sacrificed, much to the displeasure of the home faithful, who let Holdsworth know in no uncertain terms how they felt.

Still Shots pushed forward though and Hylton, Reid and Bradley all swung at the ball in the penalty area, the result another corner, from which Shots threatened again, without anyone being able to apply the finish.

Even with the extra man, Wycombe threatened only occasionally. It was former Shot Winfield who struck their third effort of the night - a decent shot, just over the bar from 20 yards.

After an initial period of still taking the game to their visitors, Shots then reverted to a 4-4-1 formation, with Hylton left, Vincenti right and Reid up front on his own and match remained scoreless at the break.

Craig Reid had the first opportunity of the second half for Shots, showing some neat footwork before curling a 25 yard effort over the bar. Hylton then blazed over on the hour when with time and space, had he showed more composure, he could well have put Shots ahead.

Time wore on and still Shots asked the stronger questions. Wycokmbe boss Ainsworth took replaced himself on 66 minutes, with Junior Morias. Soon after Holdsworth gave Rob Sinclair (signed on loan today from Stevenage) a second Shots debut. Reid was withdrawn.

With fifteen minutes left, Hylton spurned a glorious opportunity to give Shots the lead. With the ball bouncing nicely and the keeper advancing toward him, he dwelled before attempting his lob and the effort was charged down.

A good chance on 86 minutes for Wycombe. Rose was yellow carded for a foul 25 yards out and Matt Spring unleashed a piledriver. However, that man Jamie Young dived low to his right to parry it and a Shots defender cleared.

Ten man Shots had battled bravely for an hour by the time the referee signalled four minutes of added time, which saw a further corner for each team, but still, no goal.

Elsewhere, Barnet scored a late winner at home to Torquay, which left Shots bottom of League Two. A little harsh on Shots, but the old adage is that the league table doesn't lie.

Shots: Young, Herd, Bradley, Brown. Tonkin, Cadogan (A.Morris) Rose, Payne, Vincenti, Hylton, Reid (Sinclair) Subs not used: Morris(G), Rankine, Munns, Branston, Donnelly. Att: 2042 (291 visiting fans)