Aldershot Town 0 Hereford United 2

Hereford United ended a painful three-game losing streak with an impressive away victory at Aldershot Town.

Graham Turner's side, who lost out to the Shots in last season's play-off semi-finals, won the game thanks to a fine second-half effort after a painfully poor first half ended goalless.

The 2-0 win mirrored the Bulls' effort on home soil back in September. And with the chase for a top-five spot still very much in both sides' sights, this was another massive statement as the tussle at the business end of the table continues to gather pace.
After an electrifying opening, the game then faded miserably as both sets of players failed to register a single shot on target.

After the break Hereford, in particular, were a different proposition, taking the game to the home side with some free-flowing football that saw Terry Brown's side forced onto the back-foot.

Still, it was the Shots' Jon Challinor who tested the palms of the visiting goalkeeper first, drilling a low shot straight at Craig Mawson, with the ex-Morecambe man reacting well to divert the ball away for a corner.

Hereford responded when Danny Williams blasted a volley over Nikki Bull's bar six minutes later, before Simon Travis' powerful drive from the right-hand side of the box was well-gathered by the home keeper.

Aaron McLean did well to bring down Darren Barnard's long free-kick in the 62nd minute, before turning inside Tamika Mkandawire and volleying just wide of Mawson's upright.

The sucker-punch for the home side came just a minute later, when Robert Purdie broke down the left-hand side before directing a teasing centre into the box for strike partner Danny Carey-Bertram.

Although Carey-Bertram was always likely to open the scoring, he was denied his goal by the outstretched leg of defender Brett Johnson, whose touch had too much on it for Bull to prevent.

After that it was always a big ask for the Shots, with Terry Brown having little to call on in reserve.

Meanwhile, Hereford had no such problems, as David Brown came off the bench to wrap up the win with a superb long-range effort in stoppage-time.