Aldershot Town Ladies 3 - 1 Riverside Strikers

This match was due to take place at Farnborough gate ,but had to be moved due to vandals tampering with both goals and making it un playable. I would like to thank Riverside for getting a pitch at short notice.

With the Shots having a fully fit squad for the first time this season, they were looking to put past results against Riverside behind them. Playing conditions were perfect with a slight breeze.

From the off both teams battled for control of the match, in the first 10 -15 minutes the ball was being cleared by the Shots and it was coming start back. Grover was holding the line well with Coles snuffing the aerial threat. Calder was commandeering her goalmouth well and collected any balls over the top. The Shots after 20 minutes started to get into the game and where causing a few problems for Riverside when they where pressing them high up the pitch.

The game started to go to end-to-end and Riverside nearly took the lead when the ball was fired in from outside the box and Calder rooted to the spot watched it come back off the post. Caz Shepherd and Emma North started to get a better hold of the midfield and with a delightful build up saw Laura Wallman fire wide.

On 40 minutes, the deadlock was broken and against the run of play it went to the Shots.

The ball was played into Hann who broke from her marker to fire the Shots into a 1-0 lead from inside the area.

With confidence showing, the Shots again pressed and a mix up between the Riverside goalkeeper and defender saw Laura Wallman nick the ball away and fire into the net. 2-0

After half time the Shots were caught cold, from a resulting corner Caz Shepherd couldn't get her hands down and a penalty was awarded. Calder went the right way but could prevent the goal being scored - 2-1.

With Riverside looking for the equalizer, gaps started to appear in the midfield area. The midfield four of North, Wall, Caz Shepherd and Funnell where getting the freedom to play.

On 58 minutes, the Shots went 3-1 up. The ball was won once again in the midfield; Wallman held the ball up, played in Wall and from outside the box hit a 20-yard screamer past the goalkeeper to make the scoreline 3-1. It was Emily Wall's first goal for the club, in her first start for the club, and only her second appearance for the club.

Riverside pressed to the final whistle, but the Shots could have gone further ahead if McDonald had not fired her shot straight at the goalkeeper.

Final score 3-1.

Player of the Match goes to Emily Wall

Managers View

"This was a great result, to come to the team topping the table and getting a result like this will give us confidence to hopefully push on in the league. It was great to have a fully fit squad to choose from and that has added competition for places.

Jamie Woodfield worked the girls hard in training this week and it's starting to count on a Sunday. Emily Wall had a dream debut and scored a very good goal.

However, we must start to get back to winning ways in the league, and we will be working hard to do this week."


Calder, Smith, Grover, Giberson, Coles, Caz Shepherd, North ©, Funnell (Danni Shepherd), Hann (McDonald), Wallman, Wall


Hann 40"
Wallman 41"
Wall 58"